Tuesday 6 November 2012

The Lake District

 
Autumn 2012 saw my first visit to The Lake District in 30 years since I was last there with my dad as a teenager. There is no doubt that back then I would not have appreciated the place as I much as I did this time as it was truly amazing. I only had a day there so I crammed in as much as possible, and the first two photos are of Thirlmere Lake. The first snows arrived the weekend I was there so many of the higher peaks were covered in snow making for even more beautiful scenic back drops.The autumn colours were stunning and I loved seeing the low clouds struggling to clear the mountain ranges.


One of the main problems in this modern era of tourism I had was finding parking. The car parks were expensive especially when I only wanted to spend a few minutes taking photographs. So eventually at Derwentwater, where a swan kindly posed for me, I joined The National Trust, which gave me the benefit of free parking immediately in National Trust car parks and also will open up a whole new of adventures for me gong forward with so many places to now go and see in the UK.


The Honister Pass was a pretty spectacular drive with steep inclines and the most amazing views. I got to the point where I wondered if I had taken a wrong turning as the road got so narrow and bendy!


Crummock Lake was another stunning location, although the only problem was finding somewhere to capture a decent photo.


Driving across The Whinlatter Pass gave stunning views across towards Bassenthwaite Lake. Even in early November the roads were a little icy and with the altitude it was easy to appreciate just how easily these roads can become impassable in winter.


After descending down from higher ground I came to Ullswater, and the clouds had quickly gathered showing just how quickly the weather conditions can change here. You here stories on the news about people having to be rescued and I now can totally appreciate how you need to be prepared for any condition when you set off.


My final photogrpahic stop as on the Kirkstone Pub, where the amazing Kirkstone Inn is situated at 1500ft the Inn is the highest inhabited building in Cumbria and the third highest Inn in England. The views looking down from the top of the pass towards Lake Windermere were stunning.


There simply wasn't enough time to do everything in a day, so it just means I will have to go back for another visit. It was quite nostalgic revisiting a place I had last been to so many years ago with dad as I imagine not so much has changed since we travelled some of the same roads back then. It is the most amazing part of England and getting a taste of it has left me wanting more, and so another trip will hopefully be not too far away.

1 comment:

  1. wow what a truly stunning set of photographs! The snow on the mountain tops adds such depth and drama and makes it look more like Iceland than the UK!

    ReplyDelete