Sunday 18 November 2012

Revisiting Sussex


Going down to Chichester recently to visit my old primary school friend David Beattie meant I travelled down the A285, which was the same road we used to travel down on our family holidays each year as children. It was always an exciting trip and we would head down from Maidenhead on a Friday night after dad finished work or early on the Saturday morning. We would spent the week at Pagham on the South Coast in a bungalow on the beach, and we went there every summer until I was well into my teens.

Once we had travelled through the small town of Petworth we knew we weren't too far from our final destination by the sea. There were two landmarks we would see on that final part of the journey, which I stopped at to take in on my recent trip.The first was Duncton Hill which has stunning views looking across the Rother Valley.


On the other side of Duncton Hill there is the Hanlaker Mill, which as children we would excitedly try and spot first. The windmill dates back to 1750 and was restored in 1934. It is one of the oldest surviving windmills in Sussex. It was the only time each year we would see a real windmill, the only other one would be on the children's television show Camberwick Green!


It was quite a nostalgic drive bringing back many happy childhood memories and also of course of my wonderful dad...

1 comment:

  1. It look so peaceful and serene! I love that you captured birds flying over the ploughed field in the windmill one!

    ReplyDelete