Sunday 30 September 2012

Photography in Sonning


I went to the beautiful village of Sonning-on-Thames to try and get a "Night" shot for my other "Two Views" blog. Sonning is a place I have a massive affinity with having spent seven years being educated there at the Reading Blue Coats School, and many more years receiving further education at The Bull Inn in the village! The place is central to many of the great friendships I enjoy to this day. Whilst I was waiting for the sun to go down I tried doing a panoramic photo for the first time and I was pretty pleased with the above picture as a first attempt. The process involved taking three pictures overlapping each one, and then using photo editing software to stitch the photos into one.


From the other river bank the setting sun provided a beautiful backdrop to the bridge. The water was absolutely still giving great reflections. I had hoped to get a nighttime photo of the bridge, but without any lighting this proved impossible as once the sun went down even trying all kind of different exposures didn't really work. As it turned out this being the photo when there was most light was the best one I got from this position.


And finally as I headed back through the village to my car I decided to try to photo car light trails for the first time and once again for a first time effort I was really pleased. The effect was achieved by using a long exposure. So although I didn't quite manage to get my "Night" photo I came away with plenty of photo knowledge gained from the experience and what a lovely place to spend an hour with my camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment