Wednesday 5 September 2012

3 into 1


I had a great opportunity early morning in the late summer to photograph the moon in daylight on beautifully clear day. Photographing the moon is always a bit of a challenge and I was not helped by not having my tripod with me. And a photo of just the moon would not maybe have been that interesting. So I used some trees at work and a passing aircraft to make it a more complete picture. To get this photo in just one shot would not have been possible so I merged 3 photos into 1, the reasoning firstly being that in order to get each part of the photo in focus I needed to take a separate shot, and secondly to position each object exactly where I wanted to.

The first shot I took was of the trees. As you can see the moon is not really in focus or in an ideal position. So I cut the moon out of this photo.


The photo I used for the moon was one where I used manual focus to get the moon ignoring the trees in the forefront. I was then able to copy the moon out of the photo and paste it into the final image.


Finally with an aircraft flying overhead I just took a photo and once again was able to past it into the image in a more interesting position.


Obviously this is cheating, but great fun to play around with separate images and end up with an interesting combination of the 3 into 1.

1 comment: