Wednesday 1 February 2012

A Musical Winter Weekend In North Wales


I arrived to this stunning backdrop of the North Wales coast at Prestatyn on the last weekend in January for The Gathering to celebrate the music of Mike Peters and The Alarm, which I attend every year. The weather on the Friday afternoon was bitter with icy winds and driving rain. I did well to capture this shot as I was being buffeted badly by the wind.

Down to business on the Friday night with half a bottle of wine to warm me up, a bite to eat and then entered the arena with Guinness in hand to watch first Steve Fowler from Ocean Colour Scene, but mainly Mike Peters do his acoustic Friday night set. This year Steve Norman from Spandau Ballet was on stage with Mike and the band and the big surprise on the Friday was the band doing Gold by Spandau Ballet! I thought I had just about seen everything until this...


I was a little lethargic on Saturday morning after quite a late night, but I went down to the beach again with my camera and with the sun shining and the tide out I was able to have a great walk and get snapping with the camera. The previous day's harsh weather had left snow on the mountains. Turn 180 degrees and there was a lovely tranquil sea to appreciate.



Saturday night and back to business with a fine support slot from a band called The Men They Couldn't Hang who I used to follow a bit in the mid 1980s. And then to the main act The Alarm with a 3 hour electric set. Quite random at times this year with some of the song choices, but none the less enjoyable for it and certainly something for everyone from all walks of the history of Mike Peters and The Alarm.


What a weekend and roll on The Gathering 2013!


1 comment: