Saturday 2 July 2011

Henley Royal Regatta 2011



I made a little video montage of Henley Regatta 2011. The background music is "The Eton Boating Song", a song dear to my parents and the perfect soundtrack I reckon.

Henley Royal Regatta has always been a big event for me coming from a family with a big rowing tradition, having a father who competed at the regatta in the 1950s. Mum and dad went every year for many many years, and mum still has a day out there each year.

It is not all about getting dressed up for The Stewards Enclosure, in my younger years we would pitch our tents at Swiss Farm for 4 nights and spend a long weekend enjoying the regatta from the riverbank and frequenting the numerous pubs in the town. It is an event that embraces all and not just the "toffs". It is a great British tradition and if the sun shines it's a wonderful day out for all.



This year mum and me were both there on the Friday so went up at the tea interval for an iced coffee, which was delicious. Mum still knows how to glam it up and what a hat!


Every good day out needs a partner in crime and I am blessed to have my wonderful friend Michele to take to such events and we had a lovely time watching the rowing in the deckchairs and soaking up the sunshine.




One of the great traditions of The Stewards Enclosure is that the gentleman cannot take off their jackets even in soaring temperatures so when the sun does shine it can be quite hot! I was wisely wearing a short sleeved shirt this year...


The brass band plays during the tea break and you really can't beat this! In the space of 7 days I go from watching The Killers at Hyde Park to watching the brass band at Henley!


The views from The Stewards Enclosure are stunning, and the regatta itself is held on amazing stretch of river with world class rowers competing on a two lane course as straight as arrow.


The river is open to all during the regatta even inflatable ducks!


The view from Henley Bridge enjoyed by thousands is awesome and a view I enjoy 365 days a year on my way to and from work. Alas for me the show is over for another year, so roll on Henley 2012!



No comments:

Post a Comment